Central Library’s Services and SectionsOrientation Service
The task of this service is not only to guide the users to access the library, but also to accompany them in the process of searching for references and putting them at their disposal. It also provides the suitable conditions for reading and research, keeps records of all the borrowed reading material, releases statistics and information on readers’ documents record in circulation. The service includes a borrowing section.
This section is responsible for the delivery and return of books and references required by professors, researchers and students, and Hamma Lakhdar University’s enrolled users. The services of this section are available from Sunday to Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Acquisition Service
This serviceis responsible for the acquisition, selection, reception, and inventory of new books. It is interested in following up authoring and publishing by keeping up with the new titles provided by the publishing houses in the disciplines available at the university. It prepares yearly-book selection lists, in coordination with the faculty and by considering readers’ requests and records of mostly used titles. The service’s tasks include the constant care to register and inventory newly acquired material on a regular basis. It is provided with the following sections.
- Supply Section
- - This section is in charge of building and developing traditional and automated groups through purchase, exchange and dedication.
- - It checks the references and books received by the library and makes sure that they match what is required.
- - It is responsible for the registration and stamping of paper materials using the library seal and delivery to the indexing and classification section with attached lists.
- - It provides the annual inventory and planning for library’s development.
- - It keeps records and invoices on the information containers and gives periodical reports whenever requested.
- - This section includes the following sub-sections.
- Dedication and Distribution Section
This section is responsible for the college’s publications’ collection, dedication, and exchange with other universities, research centers and educational institutions at national, Arabic, and international levels.
- Maintenance and Restoration Section
Books are restored at the level of this section in case they need to be.
- Treatment Service
This service is concerned with proposing and implementing the most effective ways to address the documentary balance and applying technical processes. It is also in charge of indexing the balance in accordance with internationally recognized bibliographic description criteria, as well as classifying it based on a scientific and practical classification system which enables the recovery of information effectively to make it accessible to users. It includes the following sections.
3.1. Indexing and Classification Section
This section’s tasks include the following.
- - Performing technical processing to organize information sources in accordance with the procedures adopted by the library.
- - Developing workflow plans and choosing the appropriate classification system, in accordance with modern indexing rules.
- - Making changes and additions to the classification system in place to fit the information sources available in the library.
- - Providing periodic reports to the library’s administration on the functioning of the section and on existing and insights into how to overcome them.
- - Automated Systems Section
This section deals with the automated processing of library collections using an automated library system (the measured system for managing libraries). It aims at preserving library collections and facilitating access to information and making it available to users to support the educational process and scientific research.
- - Digitization Section
The digitization section makes copies the cover pages of the incoming books and references, as well as the index of the contents of the books. This enables users to view these contents through OPAC, the online index.